Your Appointment and Consultation
Once you have discussed your medical situation with your general practitioner, they will provide you with, or you can request, a referral to Dr Rowe. This can be faxed or emailed through via the details on our contact page. Alternatively, you will be referred from another specialist such as a Dermatologist or Orthopaedic surgeon, sometimes for treatment in a team approach, or sometimes to have specialist treatment that the other practitioner can not provide. They will usually send a referral letter directly to Dr Rowe’s rooms, but if not, please ensure you bring you referral with you on the day of your consultation.
- Referral from a General practitioner is valid for 12 months from the date you are seen by Dr Rowe.
- Referral from another specialist is valid for only 3 months.
- You must have a valid referral for us to obtain a Medicare rebate for you – this can often be claimed on the day of your consultation and paid into your nominated bank account.
- “Non-Medicare” consultations – usually for cosmetic procedures such as Breast Augmentation, Facelift, Blepharoplasty, post-pregnancy Tummy Tucks etc. – do not require a referral as we can not bill Medicare for these services.
- It is, however, often a good idea to have discussed your condition and thoughts with you GP – they may send a letter of referral regardless.
- This can be very useful in ensuring you are fit for any surgeries considered and can help Dr Rowe understand any pre-existing medical conditions which can impact on your outcomes.
If you have been referred to Dr Rowe acutely, usually following some form of injury or trauma, you will still need a referral letter from your GP or the doctor who treated you in the emergency department. If you attend the Greenslopes Emergency department, they will usually send your referral through automatically.
When you arrive for your consultation you will be greeted by our friendly staff and asked to fill in some documentation regarding your demographic details, Health history and privacy declarations.
We endeavour to keep waiting times as short as possible. but occasionally unforeseen circumstances lead to slight delays. Tea, coffee and chilled water are available in the waiting area, which has a pleasant outlook over the suburbs or Taragindi and Wellers Hill. Reading material and a television is also provided for your enjoyment while waiting.
After your consultation, Dr Rowe’s staff will assist you with any hospital bookings, Xrays, or other investigations that you may need. If you are to have surgery, you will be given a cost estimate and the details you need to check your insurance coverage. We will also provide you with all the necessary details to ensure you know where and when to attend for your surgery. Payment for your consultation will need to be made on the same day as your appointment with Dr Rowe.